Here’s what people in careers that fit well say about their work.
Ask yourself, “If I did the same work I do now in a different environment, would I be able to claim most of these statements for myself?” If so, you may just need a job change. If many of these do not represent your present work, you need a career change. The best way to do do this well is to hire an expert guide: a career coach or career counselor.
- You feel like a duck in a pond. Your work is a natural expression of your talents and personality.
- It fits you so well that often, work is play.
- You are proud of what you do and enjoy telling other people about it.
- You are highly respected at work because you are so good at what you do.
- You do not have to pretend to be someone else at work.
- Your own best and most natural forms of creative expression are what you are paid to do.
- The environment you work in brings out your best efforts.
- You enthusiastically look forward to going to work most of the time.
- Your job rewards your most important values and allows you to fulfill your goals, in
terms of personal growth and achievement goals, income, stability, etc.
- The result of your efforts makes a contribution that personally matters to you.
- You don’t spend your days working for something that you don’t really care about.
- Your job directly fulfills your work-related goals. It does not create barriers to realizing
your other goals.
- You like the people you work with.
- You are on a winning team that is having a great time getting the job done.
- A day on the job leaves you feeling energized, not burned out.