The human brain is a wanting machine. It wants more, bigger, better, richer, higher in the pecking order; and when it isn’t wanting more, it wants less.
It can’t help it. It never stops. Sometimes, when designing your future, asking “what do I want?” isn’t the best question, because this question taps into this automatic machinery. You could ask some other questions such as:
- What do I love? What am I passionate about? What matters to me?
- When am I at my best? What do I do really well and enjoy doing?
- Who do I admire? Whose life would I model mine on if I could?
- What bores me? What burns me out? What would I erase from my life if I could?
- When am I so engaged that I lose track of time? What would combine the words “work” and “fun”?
- Ask good questions and sometimes the answers come easily, falling like rain from the sky.
- Sometimes you will need to turn your questions into inquiries to work on over days, weeks or longer.